Monday, March 29, 2010

Wrote this last week - did not go live until today on the list...

I was called today by the Chief to follow up and make sure I knew things were underway. I am happy to say publicly that yes they are now officially investigating the latest series of incidents and taking a long term view of the problems my son has faced in both the community and in school since moving to AMS for the start of 6th grade.

I do want to make it clear that parents should be reporting crimes directly to Albany PD and not hoping, waiting or expecting the school staff to do so.

I feel I have been misled by school staff on more than one occasion that matters had been forwarded on to the police when they had not. I have now been told by school district leadership that they only allow reports of the "required crimes" dealing with drugs, sex or weapons (knife & guns only). I think this is a VERY LOW standard especially in light of the lack of resources and qualified individuals the district has to devote to safety and investigations -- since the end of the School Safety Officer agreement with Albany Police.

I personally take safety, gang-like activity and general hooliganism pretty seriously. I like to have fun and joke around myself -- working in the video game and entertainment industry maybe kids can identify with that. However as a Christian, I have very strong/critical feelings on the issue of real violence or threats of violence. I am extremely clear with my children on what is fantasy and where it ends and where reality begins including people's feelings and personal rights. Appropriate conduct, understandable "kid/teen" misconduct and illegal conduct -- all of our children for their own safety need to know those lines & related consequences at home, in the community and in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment